A healthy banana muffins recipe that is naturally gluten free, dairy free, egg free/ vegan, nut free and all natural. These are also refined sugar free muffins that are sweetened with bananas and a low-glycemic sugar.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup light spelt flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder, aluminum free
- ¼ teaspoon of fine sea salt
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted but not hot (or grape seed oil)
- 2 very ripe bananas (total of 1 cup smashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup hemp hearts (optional)
- optional : ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325F. Prepare a muffin pan with liners or parchment paper sheets.
- In a medium bowl, mix ground flax seeds with warm water and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Back in the bowl with the flax seeds; smash the bananas into the flax seeds, add sugar, oil, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Add in the hemp seeds and stir to combine.
- Scoop into the muffin pan evenly.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out dry and clean.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Optionally, for a bigger brain health boost – you could also add 1bout ¼ cup chopped walnuts to this recipe! I just chose to make these nut-free so that my daughter could take these to school.
CUT THE SUGAR TIP :
- I’ve added a source of protein to make these more filling so you’re satisfied with less.
- I’ve added healthy fats (especially Omega 3s) to reverse the damage sugar has.
- I’ve used a low-glycemic sweetener so your blood sugar doesn’t spike.
- I’ve used fruit as a sweetener! Ripe bananas add a great natural sugar that’s very healthy for you. Plus all that potassium in bananas is excellent for a healthy blood, muscles and nervous system and more.