Using hemp seeds instead of pine nuts adds 3 additional grams of protein per 1/4 cup of this basil pesto.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: About 3/4 cup of pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds (also called hemp hearts)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt to taste (about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon is a good amount)
Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula if necessary.
I don’t like my pesto very oily, so I usually don’t use more than 3 tablespoons, but if you like a smoother pesto, add more oil until it reaches a consistency you like.